[AAHM_Clio_Project] How is everyone doing?

Hirshbein, Laura lauradh at med.umich.edu
Mon Oct 6 12:41:20 EDT 2014

Hello, it's been about five months since our very productive Clio Project gathering at the AAHM meeting in Chicago, and I'm writing to remind us all about what we discussed then and what we planned to do.

Here is a copy of what we discussed in terms of groups and projects in May:

1. Writing projects. There is lots of opportunity to write papers large and small for venues explaining/supporting/arguing for the need for medical history in medical schools. We discussed a possible piece for Academic Medicine, and there are many other potential target audiences. This group is being led by Jeremy Greene and David Jones.

2. Networking with credentialing bodies. We all agreed that we need to reach out to the people who have the authority to make policy and regulations regarding medical education and argue our case (especially the AAMC). This group is being led by Chris Crenner and Jennifer Gunn.

3. Expert assistance/advice from archivists and librarians. As many pointed out, our institutions' archivists and librarians have cool stuff that can help get medical students excited about history and can help make the point about why history is important. Micaela Sullivan-Fowler has volunteered to lead this group. (I think I have a vague memory that we also convinced Jodi to help with this?)

4. Cataloging teaching methods/tricks/curricula or pieces of curricula for teaching medical students. We want to gather together pieces that people have used to teach medical students in some kind of website/database/drop box where they can be browsed and accessed. We certainly want to collect syllabi, but medical student teaching also involves smaller pieces (since most of us don't get full courses to teach). We volunteered Mindy Schwartz for this, and Karen Ross has also agreed to help. Jennifer Gunn will provide further assistance, especially around possible different curricular models used at different medical schools. We still haven't figured out (as far as I know) the best venue in which to share these materials.

5. Networking with other organizations (such as the ASBH). Other groups have already made some strides toward medical education integration and it would be good to collaborate/network. Jeremy Greene and Scott Podolsky have agreed to lead this group.

I've created a Google document (you all should have gotten an email invitation back in May that gave you access) with a way to try to track or coordinate activities if anyone would find this helpful. (The URL for the document is: https://docs.google.com/a/umich.edu/spreadsheets/d/12OuzsZltn3UZt_x6gFVHihENyCItWw5v_-5jX9cvQjM/edit#gid=0)

Writing projects        Volunteers      Next Actions    Notes
Leaders: Jeremy Greene, David Jones
        Submit Academic Psychiatry manuscript   David is going to send out a reminder to the list about publishing venues.

        Joe Gabriel

        Barron Lerner

        Robert Aronowitz

        Richard Kerber

        Anne Kveim Lie

        Sakena Abedin

        Walt Schalick

        Joel Howell

        Sue Lederer

        John Warner

Networking with credentialing bodies    Volunteers      Next Actions    Notes
Leaders: Chris Crenner, Jennifer Gunn   Peter Kernahan

        Ken Ludmerer

        Jackie Duffin

        Joel Howell

Archivists/Librarians   Volunteers      Next Actions    Notes
Leaders: Michaela Sullivan-Fowler       Walt Schalick

        Bill Schneider

Cataloging teaching methods/tricks      Volunteers      Next Actions    Notes
Leaders: Mindy Schwartz, Karen Ross     Justin Barr

        Kristen Ehrenberger

        Kate Irving

        Lisa Bob

        Susan Lawrence

        Bill Schneider

        Joe Gabriel

        Sarah Tracy

        Dale Smith

        Shelley McKellar

        Paul Berman

        Thomas Schlich

Networking with other organizations     Volunteers      Next Actions    Notes
Leaders: Jeremy Greene, Scott Podolsky  Peter Kernahan

        Howard Kushner

        Sue Lederer

        Justin Barr

        Walt Schalick

Is there interest in creating other kinds of online collaborative spaces? Facebook? Other kinds of interactive platforms? Other than periodic nagging, are there ways in which we could try to keep up some momentum on these projects?

Thanks and happy fall!
Laura

Laura Hirshbein, MD, PhD
Associate Professor
Adult Inpatient Psychiatry (9C) Medical Director
University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry