[AAHM_Clio_Project] Summer writing?

Jeremy Greene jgree115 at jhmi.edu
Fri May 29 11:03:55 EDT 2015

Thanks for sending this along, David.

Let me add my own voice of encouragement here: I have had almost as many prospective NEJM Perspectives rejected as accepted, including two of the last three pieces I have submitted.  I think my overall batting record with NEJM is close to .600.  This is to say, even if your first or even second piece is rejected, it's worth trying again.  The editorial board is inscrutable, but they do appreciate the value historical of essays, as long as your writing can demonstrate the timeliness and relevance of the subject at hand.

To underline David's point: it is an unusual and quite fortunate occurrence that the NEJM editorial board is so sympathetic to the goals of the Clio Initiative:  communicating the relevance of historical analysis in contemporary medical education, practice, research, and health policy.  The opportunity is open to all of us.  Along with David, I'm happy to talk with any of you about the process of writing meaningful history in 1200 words with 5 refs.  It's not easy, but it can be highly rewarding.

All best,

Jeremy

Jeremy A. Greene, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Medicine and the History of Medicine
Elizabeth Treide and A. McGehee Harvey Chair in the History of Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine