[AAHM_Clio_Project] medical history is a serious subject of study

Howell, Joel jhowell at med.umich.edu
Sun Jul 10 15:15:57 EDT 2016

Good question – before answering let’s stipulate that some high profile medical journals routinely obtain high-quality peer reviews and publish superb medical history (Annals of Internal Medicine comes to mind). Others publish excellent history at times, but at times succumb to the temptation of assuming that a high-profile researcher or clinician must also be a competent historian.

But there’s also a lot of drek.

Why?  Answer is multifactorial and could include (but not be limited to):

·         Failure to appreciate that history is a learned discipline, which takes specialized training, and not just a senior figure’s reminiscences of what life used to be like.

·         Nor is it a date or an event.  (From which one gets the sort of introductions described by Alessandra – “This phenomenon was first described by Hippocrates around 400BC.  Osler also commented on it in 1902.  But we didn’t really understand what was going onto until research in my lab last week.”)

·         Unfortunate tendency to believe that having an MD makes one an expert on anything, including history.

·         Desire to use history as hagiography.

·         Belief that history is kinda like journalism, and in any event finding its way into the journal not as a scholarly contribution but just as filler. (Manifest in some journals by placement of history not as “original research” but in some other section.)

·         Lack of submissions from historians + editors’ real desire to include some history in the journal – if they don’t get it from historians they’ll get it from somebody else.

·         Fact that some history is written in ways that make it nearly damn near unintelligible to nonhistorians.

·         Reward structure in some departments that de-emphasizes value of articles in medical journals (though that emphasis is reversed in other departments).

What should we do?  Neither a hall of shame nor a standard letter to the editor are likely to be useful (whereas a letter pointing out issues with a specific paper might be).  While the most egregious examples will be obvious to all, there are lots of examples of senior figures writing articles that, while not in any sense historical analyses, offer a good deal of useful primary source material for later work. While it’s irritating to see them held up as examples of good history, going after them is not likely to do us any good.

The answer, IMHO, is more real history throughout the educational process, and more interactions with medical journal editors.  Editors of top tier journals really do want to publish good stuff, by and large. David Jones and Jeremy Greene have been encouraging this group to submit papers to NEJM.   Less top tier journals are often receptive to the opportunity to publish good history, if that is made clear to them.