[AAHM_Clio_Project] Question about ancient medicine and current medical students

Jennifer Gunn gunnx005 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:11:25 EST 2017

Dear All,

One of our graduate students, Emily Beck, and the curator of the
Wangensteen HIstorical Library, have worked extensively with students using
artifacts and exhibits based on the Wangensteen's collections. The exhibits
have included the medicine of Downton Abbey, Bodies and Spirits, Vesalius,
the Medical Exchanges: Mapping the Body in Japan and China. You can find
more information about those exhibits here: current https://hsl.lib.umn.ed
u/wangensteen/exhibits-and-events

They are currently planning a symposium in April titled "“Medical
Materialities: Teaching, Feeding, and Healing the Body through Medical
Humanities."

Here's a brief description: "By foregrounding the body, the symposium
identifies it as a transactional site.  In the first session on pedagogy
and anatomy, presenters will address the ways that teaching the body is
linked to larger pedagogical concerns during the Middle Ages, Italian
Risorgimento, and in today’s anatomy classroom.  This session will include
an opportunity for attendees to participate in a brainstorming poster
project where graduate students propose projects and receive feedback from
graduate students and faculty from a variety of disciplines who circulate
from project to project to identify possible methodologies to enrich
proposed research. The second session will turn to illness and infirmity,
again covering a range of time periods and disciplines. The final session
will include papers on the relationship between food and bodily health and
feature speakers on food in the Middle Ages, food and medicine in the early
modern period, and current approaches to nutrition and public health."

Lois and Emily are great resources for working with health professional
students, undergrads, and many other kinds of learners. I added them to
this email so you can find their email addresses.

Best,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer Gunn, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Advanced Study

History of Medicine Endowed Professor
Program in the History of Medicine
University of Minnesota
510 Diehl Hall, 505 Essex St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612.624.1909 Direct; 612.624.4416 Office
FAX 612.625.7938